Friday 20 May 2011

Final Coursework Piece & Script Used


3 Screens

(Middle Screen) Time 01:00

My main focus of my A2 coarsework was to experiment with interpreting surrealism into different forms of media.

In this final piece I wanted to experiment with manipulating video along with how the viewer would react.

To do this I want to focus on the theologian John Locke. On the topic of protestation, he came up with the concept of a man in a locked room.

(Right Screen) Time 01:00

In the story the man in the room believes he can walk out of the room at any time as he is unaware that the room is locked and therefore he stayed in the room.

The problem is, if the room was revealed to the man as locked with no escape it would drive him insane, so therefore it he is left unaware.

(Left Screen)Time 02:00

This is similar to life, if we found out our lives where predestined our freewill would have been taken from us and we’d have no control over our actions as an exterior force has already predetermined it.

Reveal Key

Originally, in the build up to this final piece this video was going to be played in an installation, of which I would have a physical room where, you, the viewer, would sit and the door you came into would be locked and the key would later be fed into the room so at the end of the video the view could get out.

Throw Key to Middle Screen

(Middle Screen) Time --

Instead, I want you to focus on the subtlaties of your everyday life, the routines, getting up, going to work or school. The way we watch television, and are spoon fed on how to dress, and think and interact with others. This alone is telling us how to live our lives. To think, we are caught on CCTV cameras around 300 times a day. In my experients, and which was outlined in my proposal, I wanted to manipulate my work using different forms of media and for example, in the stop motion pieces I work on I am litterally controlling every shot, one frame at a time.
I’m not suggesting an extior being has power to control how every move, but ask yourself with all the media manipulation influencing our actions, can you really just get up and walk out of that door, or are you trapped…

Just something to think about.

No comments:

Post a Comment