Monday 17 January 2011

Video Concept 1: Infinite Corridor

In preparation for my final piece, I was exploring concepts to decide whether they worked or not. The first experiment was the "Infinite Corridor" idea.

I originally wanted to have a film of me talking to the camera about my research and themes surrounding my project. However, I wanted the twist to be that the space of which I was presenting to the camera was looping. This means if I moved from point A to point B, by the time I had reached point B I would have returned to point A. In other words infinity, similar to the stop motion I did in half term (this then links in with John Locke story of how we think we're free, which is in fact false.)*

To start I wanted to test out a green screen and explore how much I could manipulate it. I used a standard definition Flip video, hand held.



The obvious flaw with the video is that it was shot hand held. With a tripod the result would have looked a lot more finished. But I learnt that it was possible to manipulate the back ground, using After Effects CS5, to give the "infinite corridor" feel.

The next video I solved the hand-held problem by using a tri-pod. However, as I needed the person to walk towards the camera, tat all times, I put together a moving tripod by taping and tying three roller skates to the legs and using planks of wood as rails to guide the in a straight line.



And the result was as followed:



Video 2.



The rail system worked and smoothed the camera-shake considerably, however, I encountered a number of problems. 1. The rail: I would need to have more planks to cover the whole corridor and I would need to paint them so that they could be edited out. 2. The corridor is too narrow to notice that the background is looping. With the character in the middle of the frame it covers the door way that shows that the setting is infinite, ruining the whole narrative of the clip. 3. There is still evidence of camera shake.

*Sketches of this idea are in my sketch book

No comments:

Post a Comment